I did make this dress over a year ago, for Paul and Ingrid’s wedding Neil and I attended in Denmark. I photographed it on a hanger when we got back home from that trip, and figured that the next time I wore this dress, I’d get someone to take a picture of me wearing it. Which I usually can’t bring myself to do. I feel a bit weird taking my own photo, but I think it’s important to see a garment on a body — it’s a body that makes all those seams and stitches make sense I believe.
The pattern is Truffle from The Colette Sewing Handbook. I use some Japanese cotton lawn for most of the fashion fabric, although the skirt front is made from some cotton lace. The whole thing is underlined in ivory cotton voile, and the bodice is lined with some leftover silk/cotton blend.
I didn’t really think all of this fanciness through — with the additional ruffle I added, it is quite bulky at the waist, hence the sash. I think that there may be a few fitting issues too. Instead of going with my bust size, I went with my underbust size and did a FBA adjustment. I still needed to take fabric out of the back however, but didn’t perform a swayback adjustment. I think if I had of left a little fabric in the back, but done the swayback adjustment, this dress may be a little more comfortable. As it is now, there are some horizontal wrinkles across my lower back, and while I may be the only one to notice, I still notice. Fitting is still a very new thing to me, and in Colette patterns, I am in between doing an FBA or just sizing up (which I have done on another dress, with different results and problems). I think if I find the combination of time and funds, I would like to take a class in this sort of thing.
And finally, a year later, a worn picture. I wore it to Becc and Colin’s wedding on the weekend. My brother took this photo of Neil and I on a disposable Fuji camera I bought for a holiday. The dress makes sense now that I’m wearing it, but I feel like the whole picture makes sense because there is an occasion.