The Neil’s Pyjamas
I promised Neil a pair of pyjama pants quite a long time ago. I think I even made some, but I never gave them to him. Then, when I was shopping for gingham, the cotton flannel was pointed out to me. Now, to be fair, I did need some — around half a metre or so. Instead, I bought three metres of it because it was on clearance and I’m a cliche.
I like learning new techniques on pyjama projects because if it doesn’t go quite to plan, it’s not a big deal. No one’s going to see anyway, except perhaps the cat, and he’s not fussed. All he wants to do is sit on the paper pattern during construction and on your lap at the end.
I decided to try a little bit of print matching on this project and aimed to match the plaid horizontally. It’s not perfect, but I must say, this came out a lot better than I expected! The pattern is Simplicity 3638, although I omitted the drawstring, used two lengths of 6mm elastic instead of one length of thicker elastic, and added a nifty pocked on Neil’s request. I’m very happy with the result, so happy in fact that I demanded Neil jump on the bed and pose for a picture.
Neil has now had a chance to sleep in them, and said, “I slept like a rock. No, wait, a log. A sleepy log.”